Monday, June 9, 2008

Chapter 6



The Fyre chronicals: the parody

Complaint about spelling count = 6

Nervously I edged closer to the abyss. Below me the ground plummeted away into faint red glow. I turned back to Professor Hojo who had managed to keep up with me the whole time. “Are you absolutely certain about this?” Professor Hojo gave a mockingly warm smile and motioned over to edge. I turned and took a deep breath and launched my foot over the side. For an instant I felt my stomach rise to my throat in apprehension before my foot slammed down on the thin crystal bridge that spanned the chasm. With another encouraging push from Professor Hojo I began to trot out to the centre of the bridge. I knew that there was no need to feel disturbed by walking on the bridge, a fact I attributed to having nearly 100 people on it at a time. But the structure looked so gravity defying, so architecturally unsound I was sure it would break up. Worst of all the bridge only appeared thin and delicate from a vast distance away. In actual fact the bridge was a extremely vast structure. A great plaza in the middle of a chasm. Professor Hojo gave me another shove to push me on. Hefting the bag of rocks I staggered out over the bridge. Dodging people and the questions they threw at me I finally reached the centre of the bridge and looked back towards the main complex of Byta. Covered in a reflective gold sheen, Byta hung from the chasm walls like a limpet on a rock. In a rough diamond shape, the buildings jutted from the wall.I took several seconds to take in the magnificent sight before I bent my head down and began to trot back towards Professor Hojo’s room. Nearly an hour later I threw the pack to the floor and flopped down along side it, sweat streaking my face. Professor Hojo had some how managed to keep up with me without so much as a bead of sweat. “Right, showers are in your dormitories, head back there and get yourself cleaned up. You should already know where the mess hall is. I’d advise you to eat while you can and then-“ he handed me a slip of paper “Then follow those directions for your next…lesson” numbly I placed the paper in my pocket. “What about all those people out there? Do they do this kind of thing? I asked. “Oh certainly, but they already understand the Fyre and maintain their fitness by themselves. We need to train you however because your body isn’t used to the kind of strain necessary to use the Fyre.” I remembered how I’d struck out at the Yce, on later consideration I didn’t actually feel particularly exhausted when I attacked him. I wanted to point this out but I remembered how tehviruss had reacted and decided against it. The way I shambled back to my room would have shamed a zombie. My muscles ached so badly that my face was strewn with tears more so than sweat. Delta0Medusa was sitting in one of the small chairs of the room talking to San Ting and a ridiculously tall person whose eyes were pitch black. Although Delta0Medusa was facing away from me he said “Ahh…your back. Looks like Professor Hojo gave you a good work out.” San Ting turned to me and grimaced at my soaking body. “Well…THAT brings back memories.” He said looking apologetically at me. “Not meaning to be rude of course. Everyone starts out a mess like you.” I nodded at the newcomer. “Oh this is NightReaper5, some cloths are waiting onside the showers.” For the first time I noticed how everyone was wearing the same clothes. A sage colour with the picture of a stick man with his head on fire. “Ok, thanks…here hold this.” I gave San Ting the slip of paper. He frowned, “There’s a better way to carry messages you know.” He showed me the creation of a message Fyreball. “But Professor Hojo said I shouldn’t use the Fyre until I was stronger physically.” NightReaper5 interjected “Nobody is so weak that they cant’ pull off a messager Fyreball. Even people who are unconscious have enough power.” I thought about this and agreed. Turned out that message Fyreballs are just Fyreballs made in a elaborate way so that they can’t be “read”. Apparently it’s more like feeling the meaning rather than understanding it. After a few practice runs I finally got the gist of it. I cleaned myself and donned the plain clothes of dark sage. After that I thanked them and headed to the mess hall with my new talent and messenger Fyreball to guiding me to my next area after eating. At the table I found myself across from someone with a glum look on his face. “You alright?” I asked before noticing he was listening to an Ipod. Pulling out the ear phones he squinted at me. “Sorry, I was unable to understand the nature of you question.” Slightly taken aback I said “Well you had your head down and I though that you were, y’know…upset.” “Syntax error” “What?” he pulled out a scary looking sock puppet and stuffed his Ipod inside before looking at me critical. “Y’know, is invalid statement. Suggest correction to ‘you know’” I frowned but stayed polite. “My name is-” he interrupted. “I have acknowledged your presence. I am Chimerea” I decide to ignore him. Evidently the Fyre not only changed physical appearances but also mental ones as well, this I’d best ask about. Turning from him I focused on my cold food. Deciding not to risk burning my food with an attempt at heating it with Fyre I bolted my food and left for the place Professor Hojo wanted me. I opened the door and stopped. Professor Hojo was waiting on the hood of a large truck with its bull bar connected to a tether and a harness. There appeared to be rungs on the floor, and all around I heard people groaning as they pulled the trucks along the ground. Professor Hojo looked at me while grinning. I looked at the tons of steel before me “No, no no no no no!”
_____

Original post: http://www.fyreball.com/d/AkT4X5

No comments: