Monday, June 9, 2008

Chapter 7



The Fyre chronicals: the parody

Complaint about spelling count = 7

Staring glumly at today’s cold gruel while trying to ignore my aching body I looked up at my companions. “So I’m dragging the truck along the ground and getting nowhere. And after what seems like an hour…(my throat closes up)…he say ‘maybe it would be easier if I’d taken off the parking brake.’” Around me people shared laughter at my expense. Gu turned his enormous, red mechanical eye my way while shrugging “Ah well, look on the bright side, pretty so you won’t need Professor Hojo’s exercise regime. I too had noticed that despite I’d been with Professor Hojo only a week I’d bulked up expediently. Nobody had bothered to explain how this had happened. Hojo mentioned It in passing but hadn’t really explained why having the Fyre helped grow fitter, faster but apparently it was a natural side effect that effected everybody. Some people became huge hulking monstrosities more muscle then…well…anything! I glanced to the aptly named Dualfinger who’d had his four fingers merge into two because of the Fyre. Now he looked at me and motioned to my miserable bowl of food. “Are you going to eat that cold mate?” he asked. Almost sarcastically I held up my finger and a bright spot ignited above the tip. Rolling the little Fyreball around on my hand I replied, “This is as much as I can do without Hojo clouting the back of my head and giving me a lecture on Fyre safety.” Dualfinger didn’t look convinced. “It doesn’t take all that much power heat up your meal y’know.” across the room the faint words “Syntax error!” drifted over. I sighed “Fine I’ll give it a shot but only this once.” A small mutter of encouragement passed around the table. Some people came over looking curiously at the little knot of onlookers. I grimaced and hunched over my bowl starting intently at it, trying to ignore all the eyes looking at me. My eyes slowly narrowed as I tried to recapture the feeling I felt at the fight that started all this. I kept staring. Slowly the minutes ticked passed and some people began to lose interest and walk away. Now I was really feeling like an idiot. How was I supposed to do anything under this stress?! Silently I cursed Dualfinger for putting me up to this, and than something odd happened. The meal spontaneously exploded, launching steaming hot spaghetti shrapnel over the mess hall. I shot Dualfinger a withering glance. But he only stared silently at me, a tiny smirk on his face. A raucous cheer went up around the room, shortly followed with both laughter and groans, the latter from those who caught the worst of the explosion. There was no cheering from those around my. Just frantic attempts to brush off the sizzling sustenance. Some people, such as Dual had managed to dive out of the way of a majority of the food. But seeing Dual lose his smirk and quickly begin to pick a scalding meatball off his shoulder did little to lighten my mood. Due to the fact that I was me who was hunched over the bowl to begin with and thus I had gotten a face full of the now hot paste. Needless to say getting the food off my face was high on my priority list. About two minutes of frantic scrabbling later most of the Food had been clear up before any of the Admin had come to the mess hall. I worked my way back to my dormitory bathroom and once there I began to scrap off the sticky residual. When ihad finished I looked up to see Delta0Medusa watching me. “I hear you’ve created quite a stir in the mess hall today.” “Word travels quickly here.” He shrugged and flopped down on his bed and kicked the far wall. The edge rose up to revel a shiny screen and an Xbox. Which he promptly put to use. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. “I didn’t know we had one of those” again he shrugged “Your aren’t meant to. At lest not for a while after you arrive. To distracting…apparently.” I growled before starting off to meet Professor Hojo at the same room we first been introduced. As I strode the magnificent halls of Byta I suddenly noticed that there wasn’t as much people as I originally thought. On my first walk through here I’d thought the place was bustling with activity only now after I’d meet many of the people did I realize that there were not the thousands that I’d envisioned. Lost in my thoughts I found myself at Hojo’s door before I expected it. Upon entering I could tell something was different. No heavy lifting gear was present. I suspected that it was one of his “jokes”. He sat behind his desk and looked at me, “I believe it’s time you learned about the Fyre.” Instead of looking dumbstruck as evidently he imagined I held a cynical expression “I thought you said I was not even near my peak physical strength.” He hesitated before answering “Well that’s true but look here, if you were at you were at the peak of power I you made a mistake you’d let out too much power for me to effectively plug. So I’ve advanced your training. Not that you will stop your physical training but it is time to move on.” Slowly I nodded, digesting the implications of what he said. “Fine, let’s get started.”
_____

Original post: http://www.fyreball.com/d/AMACUX

No comments: